Friday, June 3, 2011

Now in Saint-Alban sur Limagnole

I started out on Tuesday so am now into my fourth day with feet and muscles holding up well. I went to the 7 am pilgrim mass at Le Puy and left directly from there...down the steps and out through the little town. Jan came with me to the outskirts of town, where the St Jacques Chemin signs started. The red poppies along the way reminded me of another Jack who spent time in France and Belgium. The rain started pretty much as we left the cathedral and the day continued cool, overcast and rainy. Because of the weather it was difficult to stop along the way so I arrived at my first reserved Gite in Montbonnet 2 hours before it was due to open and had to spend time waiting outside and walking around in the rain. Jean Michel who runs the gite was a very colourful character who told me he would explain everything doucement doucement... which seemed to mean loudly and slowly and I did lots of nodding and smiling. A Gerrman girl and I managed to piece togther what he was saying.. it appeared to be a lecture on the life cycle of the bed bug and instructions to not tqke anything beyond a change of clothes into the bedrooms. Last night. when there was someone who was able to translate, a french woman who had been there told me he had been drunk and was offering to get into bed with me.. I probably just smiled and nodded! I said that I assumed he was just a typical frenchman... no she said.. that is a typical frenchman, pointing at her quiet little husband!

 The next morning I left and did a very long day over the hills (very steep) to Saugue which looked a lovely little place but I was so cold and sodden by the time I got there I simply went to bed and shook for an hour. The next morning my boots were still wet but I headed off to  Falzet where I stayed in the loveliest little gite with fantastic food and a tour of the fromagerie downstairs where they make all their own cheeses. interent about to run out now.. congtats on Jorjas birth.. where is baby no3

1 comment:

  1. lol@ the typical Frenchman! Ahh so you have already done that climb up from Monistrol d'Allier?! Sounds like you have cold weather fit for the altitude. Hope it isn't too cold now over the Aubrac Plateau. Thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete