Thursday, June 23, 2011

Week 4 Thurs

Diary week 4
Tuesday 21 June.Was seated with the German speakers ay dinner last night snd was relieved to find I could still understand most of the conversation ..I have been trying hard not to speak German while I tried to get s hold on French.
Can't believe I have been here for 3 weeks already. I didn't have the best of nights last night as it was hot with lots of traffic noise. I should have turned on the fan but didn't want to wake the others so woke up looking like Ena Sharples. It was another very hot day but the route was along a beautiful shady canal towpath for most of the way before we crossed over both the river and canal and headed steeply up to Auvillar. Along the way one of my leki poles broke so I put it in the next poubelle I saw.a bit sad but it has had a good 10 years use and for my last flatter weeks I am probably better off with only one, leaving me one hand for my umbrella or camera. Spent the last few days walking towards a plume of smoke ..can now see it is a nuclear power station.  Fantastic gite..the best municipal one I have seen.Town has well preserved circular market place in the centre and a clock tower. Very hot evening but our lovely dorm room has french doors out to balcony with views of surrounding countryside..am hoping for cool breezes tonight...but luckily am sharing with Rigula(sp,?) who has walked all the way from Switzerland and Marie Helene and in a mixture of french, german and english we have all agreed that we prefer the doors open and the air to circulate.

Wednesday 21 June. Now well over half way and 430 k. I am into the Gers district where they have created many footpaths for walkers often with a row of trees planted alongside as they are on the meseta. Many of the trees are fruit trees and today I passed trees full of unripe figs, apples, pears, quinces and plums as well as lots of blackberries ...it would be delicious to walk in autumn. There were also trees full of tiny ripe red and yellow plums that I picked along the way. Probably a good addition to my diet. Somehow managed to be either too early or two late to do any shopping along the way so am eating stale bread and chocolate sandwiches again. Passed 3 châteaus in various states of disrepair. Staying at the Gite Municipal..seems OK..French lady wants to tell me about a NZ singer called Graham Allbright..even hums a few bars of his music but I have to disapoint her.

No comments:

Post a Comment