Friday, June 17, 2011

Waiting at Montcuq

 The  Cahors youth hostel is an old convent and it is also used by homeless _young people.That evening one of them was leaving so we were invited to have champaign with them.Day 17: June 16 Thursday. Found my way out of Cahor across the amazing turreted bridge and up the steep walkway to the Croix Magnon..a giant iron cross.Soon the rain set in and the paths turned to thick mud. Leaving Le Rozier pelerins started to turn back and consult maps eventually there were about a dozen dripping people standing around in the rain looking puzzled. Still no idea why as at that stage the track seemed reasonably well marked. Saw Michael later and he had had the same experience ..wonder what they knew that we didn't.  At some point I realised that I had taken a wrong turning and was on the road rather than the St Jacques..but Ki had told me a few days earlier that I should never turn back so I kept grimly on after checking map to make sure it really did go to Lasabanes. During a rain shower a car stopped to offer me a ride which I didn't take but was very glad when he confirmed that Lascabanes really was La bas (over there). Eventually reached it at about 3 to find Jung written on the white board beside one of the rooms..hopef it was me! Michael was also waiting nervously as despite reserving his name wasn't on the list. No one in charge turned up until about 6 but he was ok as there was one spare place. No cell phone reception

1 comment:

  1. Hope not too late. Don't stay at municipal gite in Lauzerte under any circs. Has longstanding reputation of untreated bedbugs!

    ReplyDelete