Saturday, June 25, 2011

Saturday 25 June at Lamothe


The first weeks walking were a bit of a shock..so many people walking..but mostly just short distances. I had to carefully book ahead ever night especially for the 2 holiday weekends and a few times had to walk further than I hoped because the gites I wanted were all "complet". Now things are very different. As I had been told, the number of walkers dropped away quite _dramatically after Conques and there are always spare beds.I still book ahead though as often the gite managers don't turn up until late..8 pm last night and especially in some of the municipal gites the names of the people in each room are posted on the door and sometimes a "complet" sign put out anyway even though there are still lots of spare beds.With fewer people walking there is a higher chance that I will have already met some of the people I am about to share with.Last night at Condom we had a particularly lovely bunch of pelerins and we made a combined shared dinner.It was lots of fun..one of the Swiss girls was celebrating as she had just passed the 2000k mark..only another 1000 to go from here to Santiago.

Today I decided to do a big 27 k day. Just about everyone else was planning a short 18 k day to Montreal as the temperature was predicted to br 31. However as I checked the weather forecast on my tiny phone in the bar, I could see it it was predicted to get even hotter ..37C for the next 2 days so thought I would save 2 short days for that.
It wasn't too bad..I left Condom early but of managed to put in a few extra ks getting lost trying to leave, and managed to get to Montreal via vinyards and fields of sunflowers and wheat by 12ish meaning I was able to buy some food before everything closed for the weekend (which lasts until Monday afternoon in most villages here).The afternoon wasn't too bad as quite a bit of the track followed an old railway track and was shaded. I remembered Margaret's "doucement, doucement" advice and had lots of short stops. I carried an umbrella which really helped with the heat but is seen as a bit eccentric here...I have had cars stop to ask me if it is raining...and as well had soaked a neck cooler. I arrived at Lamothe at about 3.30 ..apparently because of the heat almost no one else is walking so there is only one other couple staying.
Sadly have discovered 2 blisters and a heat rash..my first after amost 4 weeks of walking ..
bummer!..but at least will only walk 18k to Manciet tomorrow so may be able to wear sports sandals.

1 comment:

  1. Darn about the blisters. I guess that will be from moisture from sweaty feet.

    ReplyDelete